Radio Marsden is staffed entirely by a team of dedicated volunteers. We are passionate about providing an entertaining and informative service for the benefit of our listeners – the patients, staff, and visitors to the Royal Marsden Hospitals in Sutton and Chelsea. We’re always on the lookout for new volunteers to join the team.
What we’re looking for
- Enthusiasm to make a positive contribution to the patients’ experience at the Royal Marsden Hospitals
- Being reliable and undertaking regular commitments
- You will need to operate our modern, easy-to-use technology (training provided)
- A commitment to continue to learn and pick up new skills over months and years
- Experience in radio is always useful, but it is certainly not essential.
Members are part of the team that operates the radio station. Everyone gets stuck in as we’re a small team, so you will work on some of the following:
- Visit patients in the hospital to collect requests for the Request Show
- Prepare and present live shows
- Record and produce packages and features
- Undertake regular volunteer training
- Help keep the studio clean and tidy
- Take part in fundraising activities
- Propose ideas for new programmes, features, or sponsorship
- Assist with the day-to-day running of the station more widely.
After 12 months membership:
- You can vote at meetings and the AGM
- Stand for election to be on the Committee.
How to Apply
Complete the membership application form to get started and our head of recruitment and training will be in touch soon. This can take some time depending on the number of applicants being processed, so please be patient.
Radio Marsden will bring you into contact with vulnerable adults and children, so if your application is successful the hospital will an Enhanced DBS check (criminal records search, formerly known as a CRB check). If you already hold a DBS certificate, a new check may not be required, please discuss this with us when we meet.
Applicants Under 16
We’re really sorry but you’ll be unable to join Radio Marsden as a full member at this time. However, you are still welcome to complete an application form and visit the station for a look around, with a view to joining when you turn 16.
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer work experience. This is because we are not in the studio at all times throughout the day.